Friday, October 17, 2008

Americans with Disabilities Act - ADA

I don't know the history of this bill, but I'm sure when it was written and passed it was for a very good reason. But, with most things, people take advantage of the situation.

I teach graduate courses for the University of Phoenix - Online, in their education program. I've been doing this for almost six years and I love it. I recently started a new course and received an email that one of my students has ADA modifications. Ok, I'm cool with that. I had to acknowledge that I had received this information.....but they had to have a signed verification....so I had to fax this form back to them. I did it. As I was reading over the requirements, the modification is that the student gets extra time, usually about a week to ten days. I can live with this. But, I wanted to be sure that I read the modification correctly so I emailed the liason and asked to be sure. "Yes, this is the normal time, but they can actually take as much time as they want." Are you KIDDING me???? What world is this? What type of professional career allows you to take as much time as you want to complete a project????? To add to this frustrating situation, if all the assignments aren't turned in on time, I have to fill out more paperwork to give her an incomplete, then when she finally decides to turn in her work, I have to grade it, re-submit her grades.....get the picture?? All the burden is on me. Granted, I do not know what her disability is, I'm not privvy to that, but I don't think this is realistic. We are in week five of a six week course and she has turned in NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To continue to add to this, I have to do weekly evaluations on my students; fair enough. Well, I just left her missing assignments blank. Apparently this is wrong b/c I was notified from another area of the university that I'm not complying with UOP policy b/c the evaluations were incomplete. I am supposed to give her a zero and then change it later. Hmmmmm, never got that in my training!

So, this is just a vent that I'm all about making necessary modifications when needed, I teach children with disabilities...but we also teach our children that they must over-come their problems and function in the real world. This adult student is obviously not living in the real world and I have to suffer through this. May I NEVER have another ADA student. It goes back to our society being all about making everyone feel good and leveling the playing field and everyone gets a chance BS. Face it folks, life is tough and the toughest survive. Plain and simple.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. Have a terrific weekend!

0 comments: