Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blind as a bat.....

We arrived in Vegas Thursday evening....and it is tiring to sit in an airport for two hours, then the plan was delayed and then to sit in the cattle car, I mean plane for another two hours......just plain tiring. Added to that, there is a two hour time difference and my body KNOWS when it is time to go to bed....I try to fight it, but not very successfully. I was literally falling asleep at a machine...pushing that button was becoming very difficult. I finally gave up, it was after midnight, and went to bed.

I did my regular night time routine, which includes taking out my contacts. You see, I am blind as a bat. I take out my contacts right before bed and it is the very first thing I do in the morning. I don't shower, brush my teeth, comb my hair, nada, without first putting on my contacts. I can't see the alarm clock clearly from my side of the bed and it is less than 12 inches from my head!

So, I tuck my contacts into their little case for the night, crawl into bed and don't even remember hitting the pillow.

Next morning, up, put in my contacts....and wait, I'm having one heck of a time getting these suckers in my eyes...wow, the air and allergens are really bothering my eyes.....finally, after a few tries and a few "put them in, take them out, put them in again" and I jump in the shower.

Is it just me, or is everything still pretty blurry? Just changed these contacts, so they are good. Wow, my eyes must be REALLY tired. Wait, I can't even read my shampoo bottle clearly.....something isn't right here.

Finish in my blurry shower....open the curtain, gaze at the counter top and notice there is only ONE contact case on the counter (two contact wearers in the room).......I calmly poke my head into the room and ask Malc, where are his contacts?

"In the case on the counter."

Anxiety is starting to build like a volcano in my chest.

"Where are the ones that were in the case?"

I swallow hard.

"I threw them out."

The volcano erupts! Are you freaking kidding me????? Those were my contacts....few choice words........

Oh, it's ok, you can just wear your glasses. Where are your spare contacts? We can get some over-nighted. I didn't do it on purpose. Quit yelling. Calm down.

Can you imagine? My poor little contacts, my best friends, were dried up in the trash can, waiting to be re-hydrated, b/c my nimcompoop husband thought that I was being nice and set out his contact case on the counter????? Whatever.

Crisis was adverted; they are safely re-hydrated, in my eyes. The hardest part was wearing them for a few hours and thinking, "Wrong eyes, need to switch." I have different scripts for each eye.

Moral of the story: either have your own room, or hide your contacts from anyone else in your room.

Have a fantastic weekend!!!

0 comments: