Sunday, October 19, 2008

Book Talk - It's back...but it isn't Friday

When last we met, I was reading David Baldacci's The Camel Club. I did finish it and it did get a lot better...just took awhile. I guess that it didn't capture my attention so much b/c I had already read the second one! ha, ha

My next reading selection was Jodi Picoult's, The Pact. WOW, talk about a book that draws you in and won't let you go! This is about two teens, who are practically brother and sister (parents are best friends) and then in their early teens, they begin dating. Emily, the young teen, has this horrible burden, that she won't share with anyone and she becomes increasingly depressed. Eventually she decides the only way to make things get better, is to commit suicide. Chris, as any boyfriend would do, tries to stop her....unfortunately, he is there when the act is done and first degree murder charges are brought against him. The book takes us back in forth in time and in her usual fashion, Picoult has a mighty twist at the end that you'd never see coming. I was a few pages to the end, Rileigh is tugging on my arm to play with her and I couldn't put it down; I had to know how it ended. I was not disappointed!! Fantastic read!!!

I'm on to my new book, no big surprise, another Picoult story, My Sister's Keeper. I'm not even finished with the first chapter and I want to go pick it up to see what those characters are up to. How does Picoult do it? How does she come up with such controversial topics? So, you ask, what is this one about? A young family finds out their daughter has a rare form of leukemia and decides to have another child, via envitro, that is a genetic match so that this younger child can be a bone marrow and stem cell grocery store for her older sister. The question that the story revolves around is: Does she have the right to say no b/c she doesn't want to give anymore of herself (literally) to her older sister any more? This is yet another HUGE page turner. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Gosh- I LOVE Jodi Picoult! And my Sister's Keeper is AMAZING! A great twist at the end. Have you read 19 seconds? It is awesome!

Swimming Texas Babies said...

The twists at the end are what I've come to love about Picoult! I love to write, but how the heck does she do it??? Yes, I've read 19 Seconds. Scared at first b/c I work in a school, but it didn't bother me at all. Also a fantastic read!!