Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Book Talk

Jodi Picoult's newest book, Second Glance, is fantastic. If you didn't read the original post regarding it, please do.

I spent all day Sunday, lazing on the couch (that's what happens when child is with grandparents and husband is fishing, he even took the dog!! It was HEAVEN!). This book totally captivated me. So much, when I put the book down, I felt like I was leaving them and the characters would miss me peering into their lives! I know that sounds weird, but if you've ever been into a book, you know what I'm talking about.

The book takes a weird turn and Jodi introduces us to eugenics, which I would bet most of us have never heard of. This movement occured in the 1930's, here in the US! It is very disturbing and the reason it was haulted was because of the action of Hitler in Germany! Many, many states had sterilization laws on the books and VT is the only state that STILL has them on their books!!! Shameful.

Anyway, you learn a little about our disturbing history....and we are on a slippery slope of repeating ourselves with genetic sampling, testing and selection.

Back to the book, as usual, she takes you for turns that you would have never expected and it is a SENSATIONAL read!!! I was getting dressed one morning and one of the puzzle pieces fell together for me and I SO wanted to go back to the book to see if I was correct!

I'm already onto my next book....can't tell you what it is....you'll have to return for next Friday's edition!

0 comments: