Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Public vs Private School, part I

I think I am starting to wear my husband down. I am all about sending my daughter to private school. Why? Because I think that if you can afford it, you should. The standards are higher, your child gets the attention they need and they are pushed to their fullest attention.

But Lynette, isn't that what public education does?? Are you freaking kidding me? Heck no. Teachers and administrators are SOOOOO darn worried about the TAKS test that if you are an average to above average student, you are left to survive on your own. Why? Because everyone knows you will pass. However, if you are a needy student, then you will have hours of time devoted to you, so they can ensure you will pass and the school will look good.

I'm not saying my child will be above average, but I know she is at least smart. It isn't my job to teach her everything, however, I will support her in everything she does.

I think when she goes to kindergarten, she will be bored. I want her pushed and extended.

I did a little research about a private Christian school in our area and the tuition will be about the same monthly, that we currently pay for child care. So, we are already accustomed to paying this money, why not continue it, especially since it is for the betterment of our child?

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Lynette - you are right about the TAKS test... but I thought I heard something about Texas doing away with that? I have to admit, I'm not as close to the public school system goings on as I was when I had children at home... but my grandchildren go to public school in Allen TX and Farmers Branch TX... all are doing well. Unfortunately, it has a lot to do with your school district and how it operates.

My youngest daughter ended up in private school by middle school because I moved from the Dallas area to the San Antonio area, and I wasn't satisfied with the system.
The oldest 2 daughters went to public school all 12 years.

Bottom line, you have to do what you feel is best for your child. Dependent upon the private school, you do give up some things in the higher grades in the smaller private setting. Things like music (band, orchestra), theater, art...

Good luck... I know you'll make the right decision!
Blessings. Dixie

Swimming Texas Babies said...

Dixie,
I hadn't heard that the TAKS was going away....even if it does, there will be some other accountability system in place that will be the main focus. You are right that the district/school does make a HUGE difference, but it is still a major focus in ALL Texas public schools in the spring. I can say that the school I am looking into does have sports and music programs. Depending on what my daughter in interested in, will also help determine public/private for high school.

Brooke Simmons said...

Go private if you can!! I'm with you all the way!!